Updates from Arena Shawn Watercolor Studio

This Blog contains updates on my new works as they are completed, information regarding exhibitions and art fairs I participate in, workshops and classes I teach, and occasionally, anecdotes from this studio by the lovely San Francisoco Bay. If you want to learn more about how each painting is created step by step, as well as technical tips for watercolor painting, please go to my other blog, "Ten Thousand Square Inches of Canvas". 





Crystal Springs Sunset, Watercolor on Aches #140 Cold Press Paper, 10"h x 6"w,

"Crystal Springs Sunset" started out as an exercise in Stan Miller's workshop. Using a black-and-white photograph as reference, Stan asked us to use any colors -- arbitrary colors even, like green for the clouds -- to paint each shape, mostly wet on dry, soften edges as we go. The only requirement is to get the shapes painted in color as close in value as the black-and-white reference photo. It was a very valuable exercise, teaching me the importance of value to create a believable illusion of three-dimensions on a two-dimensional surface. As long as the value relationships are right, almost any color [...]

Read More

Fall in a Mountain Village, 5"h x 9"w, Watercolor on Arches #140 Cold Press Paper

​Second day's painting for Leslie Saeta's September 2014 "30 Paintings in 30 Days" challenge - I've started a couple of landscapes today but only finished this one. I have not painted this wet for a while - with paper dripping with water and the painting elevated at a steep angle, every passage is an exhilarating yet scary race against time. My aim is to finish the entire painting in one wet-to-dry cycle, getting the background mountains in when the paper is soaking wet so that the colors would run and diffuse smoothly, then putting in the fall foliage and darker shrub [...]

Read More

Fisherman's Evening I, Watercolor on Arches #140 Hot Press Paper, 7"h x 10"w, 2014

(See a Larger Version of this Painting Here)   A while ago (yes, in the last 30/30 challenge!) I've explored this theme and really loved the composition. Back during my trip back China visiting my parents, I've got the opportunity to sketch out some old fishing boats and dingles that are common sights along the river ways of populated historical cities and towns built on the fertile delta of Yangzi River, so I thought I'd do a series of painting featuring various interesting ancient boat designs. I also wanted to try out different materials and this is the first time I painted on a hot press [...]

Read More

Braving the Storm, Watercolor on Fabriano Artistico #140 Cold Press Paper , 5"h x 7"w, 2013

I've not painted many boats -- don't get me wrong, I really love them. Living on the coast and literally less than three miles away from the ocean, I almost come across them on a daily basis -- from gigantic ocean liners to tiny speed boats. But what impresses me most are the elegant sail boats that one is guaranteed to spot on a good sunny day in the San Francisco Bay, their smooth curved body braving the green-blue waves, their white sails catching east wind, zipping by at lightening speed. With the American Cup underway now in San Francisco, top-of-the-line [...]

Read More

I saw this scene first when driving down to central valley on one of the little winding roads from Pinnacles National Park (at that time still only a national monument). The heat has totally scorched the land. There is only yellows, orches and browns in my field of vision. Now and then, a single, very skinny cattle or horse would been seen lying under valley oak trees, trying to get as much shade as possible from the what little shadow a lone tree could offer. It must be over 100 degrees even in shadow. Every inch in my line of vision is burnt by [...]

Read More

Fisherman's Evening, Watercolor on Arches #140 Cold Press paper, 6"h x 9"w, 2013

After a busy day at Filoli, I was happy to be able to still finish this little painting tonight. I used a very limited palette because I was inspired by some Sumi ink paintings and Haiku-like photographs I saw today. When I was painting it I thought about fog gradually rising on empty river surface, a lonely fishing boat anchored near shore, with its fishing-cormorants resting on the long pole at the end of it. The fisherman with a glass or two of hard liquor, resting after a day's hard work... It's a more and more rare scene even in rural [...]

Read More

Wild Growth II, Watercolor on Winsor Newton #140 Cold Press paper, 4"h x 11"w, 2013

Today is a good day at the studio in terms of actual work that's been done: I have laid out different maker's different surface-finish of paper, tried all of them out by starting a new landscape wet-in-wet on them. So... There were a lot of messy starts -- not one of them finished since a quarter-sheet soaking wet requires some time to dry naturally, hence I was running between projects. For wet starts like this I also stand up and paint, which means at the end of the day, my legs are about to give out. But it was exhilarating, since [...]

Read More